The Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) is a prominent United States-based organization devoted to advocating for the rights and freedoms of homeschooling families. With over 100,000 member families, it claims to be the nation’s largest and most trusted homeschool advocacy group.
Mission and Services
HSLDA’s mission is rooted in the belief that every child is unique and should be offered an educational experience tailored to their needs. They argue that homeschooling provides parents with the latitude to offer such a personalized education, thus enabling children to realize their full potential.
The association provides various types of support for homeschooling families:
HSLDA offers legal assistance to protect your right to homeschool. They represent homeschooling families in court, advocate for legislative measures that protect homeschooling rights, and work in the public arena to advance the cause of homeschooling.
Personalized guidance is offered for every stage of the homeschooling process—whether you’re just starting out or dealing with specific challenges like learning disabilities. The highly trained consultants aim to make the homeschooling journey as smooth as possible.
The strength of HSLDA comes from its vast community. Through collective efforts, the organization makes it easier for all families to enjoy the benefits and freedoms associated with homeschooling.
Special Focus Areas
- Urgent Cases: The organization draws attention to urgent issues, like families facing deportation due to their homeschooling choices.
- State Laws: HSLDA provides valuable information on homeschooling laws by state, helping families to navigate the complex legal landscape.
- Special Needs: From diagnosis to Individualized Education Programs (IEPs), they offer resources for children with special learning needs.
- High School and Beyond: For families with teens, HSLDA provides resources for high school planning and prepares them for responsible adulthood.
The HSLDA is a membership-based organization, and they also accept donations to support their work. Donations can be directed towards various initiatives such as:
- Homeschool Freedom: To protect and expand the right to homeschool.
- Compassion: Aimed at helping military and low-income families, and funding program operations.
- Widows & Single Parents: Supporting parents who are homeschooling without a spouse.
A donation of $100 is stated to assist their attorneys in monitoring homeschooling legislation.
You can support HSLDA financially through their donation page.